Welcome to "The Diary of a Miner"; a blog detailing the adventures and mysteries that I, Syeonyx, embark upon in my quest to further my mining and survival skills! It'll be tough, there will be good times and bad times, but I'll always be alive to post my adventures... probably...

Even more secrets...

     What I found today blew my mind... I couldn't take it all in, and yet there was proof! I still can't quite grasp the entirety of it, and I am unable to convey any emotion in response to it... How could I...? It made no sense, and logical sense at the same time, and yet I still found reasons in my head to think otherwise. It couldn't be...

     After I saw the wolf, I went back inside, trying to determine the possibility of it belonging to THEROS. Maybe they had sent the wolf in search of me to see if I was still alive... Maybe THEROS hadn't known I had been captured and was confused as to my lack of action at his note... Had they even tried to contact me recently? I hadn't received anything... Maybe THEROS had sent the wolf out to look for me so they could begin sending me notes again... I tried not to read too much into it; it was still possible that it was a feral wolf that got a bit nosy... Twice? I eventually shook it from my mind and tried to concentrate on something else. I had finished luring the cow into the pen, and I was happy with the time it had taken to do that, as well as actually build the cow pen! If the pen was strong enough to hold the cow, only time would tell, but even from looking through the window, I got the impression the cow didn't mind all that much. There was plenty of grass and wildflowers for it to eat. Admittedly there was a considerable lack of space that it was used to, but hopefully it wouldn't matter too much. I went over to the bed, and picked up the book about cattle I had been reading; it proved surprisingly useful despite Chiron's lack of cooperation. He was now curled into a ball in the corner next to the stove. I wasn't really too bothered as things had worked out as planned - more or less - and I wanted his paw to get better. Which reminded me: I was going to have a look at it soon... Putting the book back into the shelf, I decided that now would be a good time to go and get another book. However I was intrigued as to what I could find in the library below. It was chock full of books, and could possess information that could prove invaluable to me! Either that, or a load of nonsense that I would never use in my life, ever!

     I went over to the corner of the house, where the large painting hung above a slightly elevated step. Bending down, I reached out and pressed the small notch that stood camouflaged against the wall, and watched as the slabs slid to one side underneath the step. I looked down into the small hole, and became very anxious for some reason... Maybe it had something to do with the incident that happened last time I went down into a small passageway... I shook it from my mind, knowing that was impossible. No-one would be here without me knowing about it! Surely... I lowered myself into the hole and began to descend the ladder. As soon as I reached the bottom, a wave of heat crashed over me! I had forgot about that! The lava that had blocked the path before had been covered over with a series of hidden slats that covered the lava when the lever was pulled. I hadn't reset the lever from the first time I had been down here, so the slats were still in place. Still dubious as to the integrity of wooden slats over a channel of lava, I took a tentative step forward, making sure the slats could bear my weight. After I had convinced myself, I began the short walk across to the other side. I exhaled a sigh of pure relief when my foot hit the cobblestone on the far side, however it was short lived when I realised I would be crossing it again in a few minutes time... Well, that depending entirely on whether there was a decent book to read... And if I didn't get carried away!

     Continuing down the tunnel, I remembered about the next part to this passage. I passed the skeleton again, assuming they were the remains of Jonas... Who else could they belong to though? I got to the seemingly random bookshelf, and stepped forward onto the pressure plate. The bookshelves slid to either side, revealing the hidden library within. Gauging the position of the other pressure plates, I lunged forward into the room, allowing the doors to remain open as I passed through them. Stepping further into the room, the bookshelves slid back into position, leaving no trace of their intent to hide. Despite being here before, I once again stood in awe at the number of books that had been amassed here. Obviously I had been to libraries before, but to see this many books in Minecraftia, owned by a single person was insane! After looking around the room, I noticed a lot of them seemed to be hand written, possibly by Jonas himself. Taking one randomly from the shelf, I flicked through the pages, seeing intricate drawings of flowers and other flora, with detailed descriptions, properties and annotations. Had he really written all of this? How long had he been here to amass this library of knowledge! He must have been here for some time... Putting the book back, I turned around to look at each shelf wondering where to begin...

     I don't know why I took a photo of the library... It seemed appropriate at the time, and I'm glad I did. Before putting the camera away, I examined the image as I do with every one I ever take. Looking at it more closely, I noticed something in the top left corner... What was that? I first though it might have been my thumb getting in the way; with it being a small LCD display, the image made it hard to distinguish. Looking closer however, I noticed it wasn't a thumb... Looking up from the camera into the position the object appeared in real life, I noticed something I had completely ignored... How could that be? I had been in here twice, and this was the first time I had noticed it! I had looked around the room in awe, from the top of every shelf and yet this had remained hidden! Looking back at the image and back to the object, I couldn't quite grasp how fortunate my timing and placement in the library had been. The object - initially thought to be my thumb - turned out to be a lever! Near the ceiling, and hidden partially by the wall, the handle of a lever stuck out! Putting the camera away, I walked over to it, reached up and pulled down on the handle. A screeching noise, followed by a few thunks caused me to jump back! I had had enough of traps and hidden objects to last me a lifetime, and here I was still finding them! Chances are, one of these days I was going to find a trap that wasn't so nice... Was this one of them? After a few moments, I noticed a small section of the bookshelf begin to slowly slide away into the wall! Just above where the lever had been, a small hole was widening, to reveal a small, brightly lit room! What was this?

     The screeching noise slowly stopped, and the bookshelf now had slid right into the wall adjacent to it. Peering in, I noticed that the room was very small. It possessed no bookshelves like the hidden library did, instead, there was a chair, a chest and a crafting table... Gathering confidence, not knowing what to expect, I inched closer into the room, expecting a Creeper or a zombie to appear out of nowhere, or a strange cage contraption to be hidden just out of sight! But there was nothing else in the room except the wood that made up the walls. Knowing the room was empty, my main worry now was the bookshelf sliding back into place and trapping me, but after a few moments of silence - except my laboured breathing, and pounding heart - I decided it is probably safe.

     I stood there for some time, trying to understand the significance of this room... Maybe it was a quiet room... Or an office...? I didn't know. There was nothing in the room itself to hint at its purpose. The only thing that might shed some light on it was the chest... Walking over to it, I carefully prised open the lid and looked inside. The chest was bare; it held nothing but a large amount of dust and a few large wooden splinters... Just as I was about to close the chest, I noticed a slight glint of light appear from the bottom-right corner. Reaching down, I felt around and found a small, rectangular object sat at the bottom of the chest. A book! Well this wasn't overly surprising considering it led from a hidden library. Closing the lid, and looking down at the cover, I tried to make sense of it... I couldn't understand what this meant; the book was old, and leather bound, with a strange seal printed onto the front. It was odd, like a tribal symbol with the number "7" printed in the centre of a strange circle it made. The only way I could describe it was by saying it looked like a crude meteorite with flames licking away to the right, and a "7" printed onto the body of it. The book was held together with an old metal clasp lock, which after a bit of force, popped open. I read the first page and couldn't believe it! It was a diary! Possibly belonging to Jonas! I continued reading, being unable to make less and less sense of it as I went... It began:

Day 343

     The time is coming... It has been foretold, and we must, as a group, put a stop to the evil that is causing such an event to unfold. If they succeed, all that we know, all that we love and hold dear, will perish in a maelstrom of evil and corruption. We have but one chance to stop them, and there is nothing of higher stakes than this. They must be stopped... He must be stopped... Before it is too late...

     What is this...?

Syeonyx signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment