Welcome to "The Diary of a Miner"; a blog detailing the adventures and mysteries that I, Syeonyx, embark upon in my quest to further my mining and survival skills! It'll be tough, there will be good times and bad times, but I'll always be alive to post my adventures... probably...

Day 54: Back to my routine... sort of...

     I don't think HoN Co. can be trusted... I don't think THEROS can be trusted either, but something changed my mind last night, and I seem to be more inclined to side with them now...

     Despite the events of yesterday and the past few days, I seem to feel a lot happier today... I don't know why, but I just do. I woke up early this morning and decided to do what I wanted to do for a change! I had spent the better part of a week being told what to do, but no more! I was going to do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it! I looked out from the balcony and down onto the wall looking over the sea. My eyes were then drawn to the greenhouse; the farm was doing spectacularly! In fact, from the balcony I could tell the wheat was ready! I suppose that could be the first job, and then I had another lined up for myself. When I made the greenhouse, I had thought about making a wooden shed attached to it to store the wheat and tools. Sort of like a silo. Well, seeing as though I wasn't taking orders any more, today couldn't be a better day! I went down to the greenhouse with the tools I needed, including wood to make the actual shed. I had to first clear away a large amount of soil and stone to make space for the shed. Unlike how I initially planned it, the shed be attached to the left side, and not the back of the greenhouse. After about an hour, I had cleared a large enough space to begin building, and laid a wooden foundation. This set the dimensions of the shed, and ensured the shed remained dry.

     I then used the wood I had brought with me to begin making the walls. It didn't need to be bomb proof, but it needed to stand up on its own. Due to this, I made thin walls from wooden planks, which dramatically reduced the build time. Within another hour I had the basic walls finished, and was starting on the roof. I decided that it would be easier and more advantageous for the storage if there was a source of natural light coming into the shed. Instead of an all-wood roof, I decided to make use of an over-sized roof window! I had a few glass panes left over from building the greenhouse, so I went back up to the house to fetch them and then fixed them into place. As only one wall was exposed, I only had to put in one window. I then made my way back to the house to make the chests. The entire time I was making the shed, my mind was kept on the job. I didn't think about the recent events at all! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed crafting things with my hands! It gave me purpose, and the sudden increase in crafting generated a very calming and therapeutic effect for me! I was incredibly relaxed, for the first time in weeks!

     I had learnt that chests made from sturdy wood made better chests than flimsy ones. This meant taking time to make each one, with an iron latch to secure them. It also meant having to carry each one down individually to the shed. I didn't mind as it gave me time to think about all the things that I missed. Before all of this, I had enjoyed my job, all aspects of it. Mining, crafting, farming, building... The list was endless... But it had to be ruined... This figure, this person had to ruin the peace by bringing mystery and horror into my life! I don't know why I had even investigated it. It wasn't really even me! At heart, I was a coward... I know it sounds bad, but I prefer to leave the unknown alone, or to the people who feel like going on adventures. But for some reason, that small part of human curiosity, that is stored away in all of us, took control of my better judgement... I had to admit that it wasn't all bad; I had learnt how to fight, how to defend myself, and I was considerably braver than before! I secured the last latch into place with guiding pins and then hammered it into place. Standing up and admiring my work, I then picked it up and took it down to the shed. When I got there, I placed the last storage chest onto a mounted bracket above a sign which I had pre-made. Standing back, I admired my handiwork in all its glory! I had to admit, I had missed this!

     Dusting my hands off, I collected the tools and returned to the house. Now I had to transfer the farming stuff from the house to the shed. I managed to take all of the sheafs of wheat in two runs, and put them into the allocated chest. I then took a few bones, the seeds, reeds and hoe down and placed them into each applicable chest. I had left two chests empty as the amount of wheat I could harvest at once was rather a lot. Within a few weeks, I could easily fill another chest with wheat, so I needed the space. This freed up a lot of space back in the house, where I kept the "finished products" of my labour. This just meant food stuffs such as bread, meat, cake etc. I went back up to the house to have a rest; I hadn't had any breakfast. For some reason I had taken to skipping it out altogether for the past few weeks, but the building of the shed had given me an appetite, and I settled into a chair with a steak sandwich! As I ate, I began to look at the map that the strange wolf had given me a few days earlier... I hadn't really had time to process it, but the wolf, it looked a lot like Chiron! There were a few differences, but I suppose a lot of animals look the same to humans. I bet we all look the same to them! I then began to wonder; did the wolf belong to THEROS? Well,. it had to! Every time I had seen the wolf, it had brought me a message from THEROS and it had a red collar around its neck... The same type of collar as Chiron... I pushed it from my mind and looked back at the map... It seemed a relatively normal map; there were signs of beaches, forests, small desert areas and even some snowy areas to the South! I decided that today would be a day where I would think no more of portals, and maps and mysteries! I was going to do what I wanted to do. And right now, I felt like growing a forest! Well, continuing where I left off...

     I returned to the forge, where I had left the saplings and bones from the previous time, with Chiron in tow! He seemed rather jumpy for some reason, so I thought it was best he came with me. Better him being jumpy with me around than out of my sight! I went into the forge, but he did not follow. Instead, he sat near the entrance, looking at the rear wall gate, panting. I thought it might have something to do with the lava, so I left him there whilst I ventured upstairs to take the necessary items from the chest. As I was rummaging, I heard Chiron bark, and I leaned out of the window. I couldn't see much, but I could just about see Chiron looking towards the forge for some reason... I quickly found the saplings and bones and went back downstairs towards the forge entrance. As I exited, I couldn't believe my eyes! There before me was proof that Chiron wasn't the random wolf I had seen! I had thought about it being a possibility, but now here was proof of otherwise...

     Chiron was sitting next to the other wolf, staring at it, but not attacking, barking or even growling at it! He just sat there, panting, as did the other wolf! I walked closer and both of them looked at me. I could barely tell them apart; one looked older than the other. Was it possible that Chiron and this other wolf were taken from the same family, or pack? If so, it was spooky that THEROS had chosen the same wolf! One of them barked, looked down at it's feet and then stood and ran towards the rear wall gate. The other, presumably Chiron, sat there watching the other wolf run off. I called Chiron, and he came to my side. At least I still had the right wolf! I then saw it; another piece of paper lying where the other wolf had been! I walked over and picked it up. It was from THEROS again! Once again, it was a simple message: "HoN Co. cannot be trusted! You must destroy the portal before it is too late! THEROS"... What did that mean... "before it is too late!"? Before what was too late? I stood there staring at it for some time, trying to remember everything that had happened recently, but unable to make any connection. Why would it be too late, I didn't get it! If THEROS wanted my help, why were they being purposely economical with the details! I needed to know more than a single, two phrase statement! I screwed up the piece of paper and threw it to the floor, and walked off back to the house. Chiron followed behind, still panting... Today was meant to be a day to forget all of this... But it seems I'm never going to get any rest until the portals are destroyed... Or the figure kills me...

     I've since gone back to the forge to pick up the piece of paper. I'm looking at it now; the simple message "You must destroy the portal before it is too late!"... I still can't understand what it is referring to... THEROS needs my help, and yet they aren't attempting to give me the information I need! I've decided to postpone contact with HoN Co. for awhile... If things blow up in my face, they're more likely to pick me up for transport back to the mainland if I don't further annoy them with my findings. Well, that and I'm starting to distrust them... I'm starting to think the "before it is too late!" reference is linked to HoN Co., but it could just be my mind making random connections with the small amount of information I've been given. It does that... Annoyingly... I'm refusing to help THEROS until I get more information. I think they'll get the point when nothing happens...

Syeonyx signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment