Welcome to "The Diary of a Miner"; a blog detailing the adventures and mysteries that I, Syeonyx, embark upon in my quest to further my mining and survival skills! It'll be tough, there will be good times and bad times, but I'll always be alive to post my adventures... probably...

Day 47: A long day...

     Today was a very slow day; I spent the entire day mining at the open-cast mine. However it is not really much of an open cast mine any more as it takes far too much time to dig out the entire area of exposed ground! Instead, I am simply digging a tunnel that follows the outline of the mine. I still cover a decent amount of ground, but I will need to mine out the rock and stone above at a later date if I can procure some sulphur for TNT! It actually got me thinking: I've got almost irrefutable proof that Creepers leave behind an explosive residue when they die, so maybe they can provide a healthy source of sulphur, or other explosive agent! I would need to either capture one alive - which seems practically impossible! - or kill one and extract the necessary agents from the corpse! I will only need to do that at a later date though, because I haven't found the other portal yet...

     As I got closer to the barricade that I had put up to block the strange tunnel, I thought about breaking through it and exploring again! If the portal was likely to be anywhere, surely it would be near to that strange cage thing was with the zombie! But the book had seemed to say that the portals are not usually protected, and are more than likely sitting dormant in enclosed caverns until activated by the figure from the other dimension! It was all gobbledee gook to me, but I tried my best to keep up with it... I spent many hours hammering away at the wall, favouring speed and efficiency over aesthetics... If I didn't have a job to do, I wouldn't be continuing this tunnel until I had finished removing the entire top layer of stone from the mine! At the moment however, it was a giant hole in the ground with a long staircase leading to a rather long and windy tunnel! I found masses of iron ore and coal, and I thought it would be a great time to make use of my new railtrack system! After returning to the half-way point, I smelted the ore down into blocks, and placed them into the cart. I then made use of a very basic steam engine which pushed the iron-laden cart along the tracks! I followed it along its path until it reached the forge, and was content with the result! The only problem with this system was it cost coal! If I could find a way to create a powered railtrack rather than a powered cart, I might be able to save on fuel!

     As it got later into the afternoon, my mind had wandered, and I began to look back on the past few days... I realised that, in reality, I was lucky to be alive! I don't think I had seen it in that light before, but in truth, I had battled strange creatures, made use of TNT in cramped places, braved lava pits and traps, and fought off zombies with arrows! I had a lot to celebrate! I deserved a break! I was about to walk off back to the house, when I heard rushing water, just beneath the surface of the rock... I picked up the diamond pickaxe again, and began digging again! Within a few moments, water began to pool at my feet... I continued until I made a sizeable hole in a wall which lead to a cavern! Was this the same type of cavern I had found before? Was it part of the other cavern, perhaps? Unlike the first one, it was dark; not lit with candles, fire or lava... I took out a torch, lit it and began to walk down into the small cavern... I found the water source; a spring had erupted from between some stone a few feet into the wall... After a bit of exploring, the cavern ended abruptly! After I checked each wall for ore, or possible tool markings, I was happy it was just another naturally formed cavern, and returned... I decided to call it a day there, and returned to the house; my arms were aching and I was still in a very lazy mood after realising my luck! After I got to the house, I rooted around in the chest in the kitchen, and found the ingredients I needed! If I was going to celebrate, I was going to do so in style!

     I spent quite awhile in the kitchen; I wasn't a very good cook, but I knew what I liked! Chiron was most intrigued by me when I kept dashing past the window covered in flour, and eventually joined me! He's already white, but the bits that weren't got a dusting for getting in the way! It had started to get dark when I finished it; a cake! A big, delicious cake made from nature's finest! I cut it into slices, and me and Chiron sat there eating it until I felt rather sick! I may have slacked off somewhat today, but tomorrow I will concentrate on the second portal... I was merely celebrating how good it was to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment