Welcome to "The Diary of a Miner"; a blog detailing the adventures and mysteries that I, Syeonyx, embark upon in my quest to further my mining and survival skills! It'll be tough, there will be good times and bad times, but I'll always be alive to post my adventures... probably...

Day 53: Conflicting messages

     Why must my life be so complex...? Throughout the past few weeks, I've experienced more confusion than I have in my entire life, and I did A level Physics! I came to Minecraftia as an employee of HoN Co. to extract rare and valuable ores and metals, which could be sold on for profit. I haven't been mining, or performed any employment-related tasks in weeks! I've had too much confusion and intrigue to face... The figure, the temple, the creatures, the portals... THEROS... I had a long think... And I had decided to leave... Until I got a message...

      I woke up late today... Well, I say "woke up" I hadn't really been to sleep. I had been thinking... About Minecraftia... About THEROS... About the portals... I had spent the entire night thinking about what I should do, and in the early morning I had reached a decision. I think the decision was what put my mind at enough ease to actually get what sleep I got... I was leaving... I was leaving not only Minecraftia... But HoN Co. altogether! I couldn't take all of this anymore! I swung my legs out of bed and buried my head into my hands... My life was so screwed up right now, that the only way to get it back on track was to leave the cause... Leave it far behind... I got dressed and went downstairs... I noticed that I had received a message from HoN Co. in the night... I opened it and read it:


Thank you for the images and the report, Syeonyx. We are aware of these "portals" and as you stated, yes we have encountered them before. They are dangerous! They are not to be messed around with! The last time one was found, we lost many miners! We cannot have a repeat of this! That is why we have discussed it thoroughly and think it best for you to leave the portal alone! Do not return to the portal for any reason, it will only bring problems! It is unlikely to disturb any HoN Co. operations in your quadrant because of the distance. Leave it alone and get back to your job! We know how you are feeling, and we are not saying we don't believe you. We just believe it is in the interests of everybody if it was forgotten!

HoN Co. out

     "get back to your job"!!! Who did they think they were? I had calmed down since last night, but seeing this message dredged up the rage! I had experienced all of this confusion and horror and they wanted me to continue my job as though nothing had happened! If I hadn't come to a decision last night, this message would have made my mind up for me! I was about to start sending a request for a pickup from HoN Co. when I heard a bark... I stopped and looked towards the door, assuming it was Chiron, but hat I saw wasn't him! It was the other wolf! The wolf I had seen two days ago! It stood in the doorway with a piece of paper in it's mouth, looking at me. It dropped the paper onto the floor, looked back at me, barked once more and ran off! I quickly ran to the door, but I was unable to see which way the wolf had gone! The wolf... The same wolf that had given me the map! The wolf that presumably belonged to THEROS! I stepped back inside, and bent down to pick up the piece of paper...

     The note was short and simple: "Return to the portal, and destroy it! THEROS"... I walked out onto the porch and shouted "HOW CAN I DESTROY IT!?! IT'S ACTIVE!!!"... I looked back at the piece of paper, not knowing what to do... I was a mixed bag of emotions, flitting between confusion, rage and hopelessness... I couldn't destroy the portal so I had returned and told HoN Co. about it. They informed me to leave it alone, but now I've just got a message telling me to go back and destroy it from THEROS! What did I do? I thought about it for some time, going back into the house and sitting in a chair, trying to determine the outcome of each of the possibilities... If I stayed here, HoN Co. would tell me to continue mining and ignore the portal. THEROS would tell me to go back and destroy it... How could I destroy it though... Diamond did nothing... I assumed that it couldn't be destroyed whilst it was active, but maybe it was because my diamond pickaxe was beginning to weaken... Was that a possibility? No, it was diamond! The other option was to contact HoN Co. to pick me up and take me back to the mainland, but I had the feeling they would refuse... I had only one choice... I had enough diamonds left to make another pickaxe, but I would have to unseal the barricaded cellar! I hadn't heard or seen anything suspicious about it since boarding it up, so I assumed it was safe! I took a hammer and began to peel back the nails embedded into the wooden barricade, until I was able to pull the wooden planks off! I then took my bow and quiver in hand and descended the ladder... The chest holding the diamond was right next to the ladder, but I never take chances any more! Going into the chest, I found the diamonds and returned to the house... I left it without boarding it back up again, in case I needed to go back down. I then went to my crafting table and made a new pickaxe. I made the shaft out of iron this time so that it was considerably stronger, and would fit better into the diamond head. With the new pickaxe finished, I sat back down going through the possibilities but always came back to the only option. I would have to destroy the portal... Even if it killed me!

     I decided that this time I would travel light, and was only taking the pickaxe and the bow and quiver. I was taking the map too, of course. I got to the boat on the far side of the beach and pushed it into deeper waters. I then began rowing back to the portal, trying to think of ways I could destroy it. Maybe I could bury it? It wouldn't destroy it, but it might prevent it from being used. But then I remembered the other portal I found; it had been encased in obsidian deep beneath the earth. Burying a portal wasn't going to achieve anything! Maybe I could weaken it structurally by undermining it, causing it to collapse...? It was the best idea I had, seeing as though the direct approach didn't work... I reached the island in a short time, tying up the boat and taking out the map. I had marked the more precise location of the portal when I got home anyway, so following the route was much faster. After a few minutes, I heard the distinctive sound of the portal, still active... I knew it was practically impossible, but I had hoped that it would have somehow become inactive... I followed the curve of the hole where the portal was located, and stopped... I crouched quickly, and then peered over the edge of the hole... What in the world...?

     There were Creepers down in the hole, near to the portal! They hadn't seen me, which allowed me to peer closer and see what they were doing! There were about nine of them, wandering around the hole. And then I noticed it... The cage! There was another one of those strange cages sitting in the centre of the hole, with the Creepers wandering around it! What was it? It hadn't been there yesterday when I was here! I looked closely and saw the same small zombie in the middle of the cage. It was lit on fire and the Creepers seemed drawn to it! What was going on? I couldn't kill those Creepers! And I couldn't get anywhere near the portal either! Could I distract them maybe? It didn't seem possible. They were incredibly distracted by the cage in the centre of the hole. They didn't seem cautious towards it at all, but it looked like they were comfortable with it being around.I stood up a little more to get a better view when one of them looked up at me. It opened it's mouth and began to hiss loudly. I didn't stay long enough to find out what happened next! I ran back down to the beach, pushing the boat and out and jumping in! As I rowed away, I looked back at the island, but I couldn't see the Creepers following me! I kept rowing until the island shrank from sight... When I was far enough away, I slowed down to try and grasp what had happened... The portal needed to be destroyed, but it was being... Guarded...? By Creepers? And that cage with the small zombie in it... Why did they keep cropping up? What was the origin and significance of them? I kept rowing until I reached the small bay, and got out. I needed to destroy that portal... Hon Co. wasn't going to help me, and they weren't likely to come and fetch me either... THEROS was incredibly illusive... I needed to contact them somehow, but it seemed to be a one way thing... I began the slow walk back to the house, round the beach-side gate, trying to think about the next step...

     I don't know who to trust... HoN Co. is telling me to ignore something that can't be ignored, and THEROS is telling me to destroy it, but not telling me why. Both are being elusive and avoiding telling me the truth... I'm beginning to suspect that this THEROS might be the figure... It all points that way; they know where the portals are, I've never actually seen them but they seem to know a lot about me... But if THEROS is this strange figure, why would they want me to destroy the portals? The figure used one of the portals in the temple, right in front of my eyes! If these portals were what THEROS said they were, they had to be destroyed! But I can't destroy this one... I'm still only assuming, but it has to have something to do with it being active! There's no other difference between that and the other portals. Well, its state and its location obviously. But it can't be the location because the second portal was easily destroyed... It had to be because it was active! What if I traveled through the portal...? Would it deactivate? That's probably not a good idea, because I could get stuck in a location I haven't a clue about... There's so little I know, and even more that I'm not being told about! Those Creepers... They were too numerous... Had they come from the portal...? And the cage... Someone had put it there! But who...? The figure... THEROS...? I'm pretty sure it didn't randomly appear. Someone wants me dead... And the more I think about it, I keep coming back to the same conclusion; THEROS is the figure. The Creepers could have been a trap to kill me... But what made no sense at all was this person could obviously kill me at any point... I wouldn't even know about it until it was too late... Maybe they were toying with me... Despite HoN Co. being incredibly unhelpful, I was inclined to side with them. They were the ones who said to leave the portal alone... Then it hit me... Why would they tell me to leave it alone, and then all of a sudden, a load of Creepers and a cage appear...? Maybe it wasn't a trap... But a warning... Something to make sure that I stayed away... After this thought, I was back to square one, not knowing who to believe or trust...

Syeonyx signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment