Welcome to "The Diary of a Miner"; a blog detailing the adventures and mysteries that I, Syeonyx, embark upon in my quest to further my mining and survival skills! It'll be tough, there will be good times and bad times, but I'll always be alive to post my adventures... probably...

Day 46: Today saw the first blow against the unknown!

     Today is the day! Today is the day I destroy the portal at the temple, and begin the end of this mystery! This figure - whoever it is - will know that I am not going to take any more of this! If I can manage to to destroy this portal and then find find the final ones, I may be able to prevent them from coming back into our world! To be honest, I was a little bit scared...

     I woke up early, with my mind set on a single task: to destroy the portal! I packed my bag; some food, the TNT, a redstone fuse and lever, the book I found (for some reason...), the diamond pickaxe, and then I took up my bow and quiver! I left Chiron at home this time; with him running around, and me making use of explosives, I couldn't guarantee his safety. I said my farewells, hoping they would not be my last and locked him in the house after securing the porch. I then moved towards the pier, with only one thing in mind. I think it's the most concentrated I've been for a very long time! I placed the bag into the chest already on the boat, picked up the oars and began rowing to the island. It was like I was on autopilot; I was adamant that at the end of the day, there would be no portal, and no way back into the temple! After just under an hour, I had made it to the island; the tents were still there as if nothing had happened; no sign of any zombies of creatures spilling from the entrance! My only hope was that they didn't know what I was doing and stayed in the temple! I stepped from the boat, taking the bag from the chest and ensuring I had everything! Today was going to start with a bang!

     Remembering that the entrance at the dig site had collapsed due to my intervention, I made my way to the other entrance on the far side of the island. This entrance was easier to access as well because of its location to the surface and there was no need to go through loads of tunnels and traps to get to the portal. As I got there, I remembered how I felt when I had first emerged from it. It had taken me awhile to understand that this entrance had put me out on the same island, just on the other side! I felt elated; I thought I was never coming back here, but here I am! I vow now that this is the last time I shall come here, and before I leave I shall burn the tents too! There will be no evidence of people being on this island at all! Not on the surface at least...

     I descended the stairs, seeing the light at the base of the tunnel. This staircase, I recalled, lead directly from the back of the portal. All I had to do was rig up some TNT, blow it up and ensure that it was out of action. The return to the surface and destroy the entrance... easy! As I got closer, I noticed the dark purple surface of the obsidian, and I readied the TNT! The whole place made me shudder with fear; I wanted to do this as quickly as possible. I positioned the TNT atop the main platform of the portal and wired it up, placing the lever a few feet back up the staircase! There was enough TNT there to ensure it never worked again, but I had my doubts; TNT was largely ineffective against obsidian at the best of times! If it failed, I could hammer away at it with the diamond pickaxe to ensure it was never repaired! After a few minutes, I had everything prepared, and I attached the other end of the redstone fuse to the flint lever! Pulling it, I closed my eyes and covered my ears and waited for the bang! When it went off, it was like music to my ears!

     After the shaking had stopped, I opened my eyes and looked down where the portal had been! Nothing! There didn't seem to be a trace of the portal at all! Standing up, I removed my hands from my ears and looked around the base of where the portal had been, only to see a sizeable hole in its place! I walked down the remnants of the staircase, and observed the portal from the other side; the only remains of the portal hung precariously from the ceiling! This portal wasn't going to be used ever again!

     Content with the amount of destruction that I had wrought, I ascended the staircase, back to the entrance. Within a few minutes, I was back at the top, with one less thing to worry about. After I destroyed the entrance, there would be no way for the figure to gain access to my quadrant from this island! I just had to find the remaining ones and then I would be entirely secure... so long the hooded figure didn't create any more! I don't know how to create them; it is more than just an arrangement of obsidian... Something is needed to give it power... like the bolt of lightning did for Frankenstein's monster! Was that it maybe? A bolt of lightning? It can't be... channeling electrical energy so remote like that is nigh on impossible! But then again, I had never imagined creatures could commit acts of great destruction by blowing themselves up! I took the remaining blocks of TNT from my bag and placed them just inside the entrance. If I got this just right, I could not remove the entrance entirely, but also flood the internal workings of the tunnel! I readied the fuse wire with the TNT and flint lever...

     I pulled the lever and took cover behind the tree, eyes closed, and fingers in ears! Once again, a huge roar managed its way past them and a thunderous shaking began and then eased off! After awhile, I opened my eyes and looked at the remains of the entrance! I could hear running water, and went to investigate!

     The entire entrance had disappeared completely! All that remained were the two torches which stood as reminders to its existance! I dug these out of the ground, and watched as mass amounts of water poured down into the tunnel! In a matter of minutes, the entire tunnel network would be flooded and there wouldn't be anything left alive down there! I made my way back to the tents, and readied my flint lighter! I had decided that I was going to burn them this time. I didn't want there to be any trace of their existance, nor that of any people being here at all! When I got to the tents, I went back through the chests that were there, making sure I had taken everything of use, and then I set fire to the fabric of both tents! I watched awhile as the tents quickly went up, along with the contents! After an hour, there was nothing left of the tents apart from a smouldered patch of grass that would easily regrow in time! Before I left, I went over to the dig site, wondering if it was necessary to fill this in with water as well, but as I peered down, I noticed a trickle of water had already begun seeping through the ruined entrance! The water from the entrance had seeped through to the other side already! I didn't think it possible, but the amount of water, combined with the pressure must have forced it up the numerous passageways and stairs! I left the site and went back over to the boat, putting the useful stuff into the chest and getting in. It was going to be a boring journey back, now that I didn't really have anythign to do.

     I've just read through the book again, and this THEROS mentions my mine! I think they're referring to the open-cast mine I started awhile back, but never really managed to get into! They said that there is likely to be another portal near to the mine! Are they referring to the small tunnel I found which I barricaded off? No, wait they can't be... They said that only the portal I destroyed was protected. The other portals were likely to be contained in small chambers that were not protected... This is probably to reduce the chance of them being found... which meant I had to continue digging! At least I have something to do for the next few days... So long as the hooded figure doesn't know what I've done, and tries to come after me! For now, I'm going to rest with Chiron; I think I've earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment